Friday, September 10, 2010

Lego Star Wars Birthday Party Favors



I can't believe my baby is 8 years old. He wanted ANOTHER lego party this year (had one two years ago), and he wanted to do it at home! Coming up with a new set of ideas was difficult, but I think we did ok considering the time constraints. Last time, I sent out lego invitations that were handmade to look like bricks (just rectangle cardstock with circle punches stuck on with raised dot glue). For party favors, I bought those little minifigure sets online and wrapped them in solid colored papers and then added dots the same way. It was a hit. We had great games, so I have to top that now!
I'm a big fan of anything handmade and unique, but I also didn't want to go overboard. I started by making personalized notecards in Microsoft Publisher with clipart I found online. I cut those out with my paper trimmer. Then, I decided I needed lego crayons (but didn't know these were even possible until 2 days before the party so it was too late to order from Etsy. So off to Hobby Lobby for a mold making solution (oh yeah, the lego store is completely out of ice molds so I decided I would make my own.) Unfortunately, I couldn't find the mold making solution I wanted, so I settled for something called Amazing Putty. Instead of doing a large mold, I had to make individual molds, but the stuff is cool. It sets in 20 minutes! It isn't oven safe though so we had to melt the crayons in the microwave and then pour that liquid into the molds. I wasn't 100% happy, but they are cute nonetheless.I also made soaps, and these were my favorite. Because the lego store doesn't have any molds in stock, I used what I had which was a minifigure popsicle mold that we bought at California Legoland a couple of years ago. I just bought glycerine and dye and melted in the microwave - so super easy and cute! I had to experiment with colors - wish I had more glycerine and time, but these will do. The goodie bags came together nicely (topped off with a personalized tag bought on Etsy and printed myself).
I marked the soap just in case they thought it was chocolate - lol . . . mmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment